Tobias and Sara

Tobias and Sara

Monday, February 24, 2014

Re: Lothar's divorce (letters)


In the mid-ninth century, the Frankish kingdom witnessed the attempts of its king (Lothar II) to leave his wife (Theutberga) for a woman he had previously been involved with. Historians have struggled to determine what role the women played in this divorce attempt and just how acquainted the women were with one another. Recently discovered letters have shone some light on these points of interest.
*****

May 9, 857

Waldrada, you witch.

I know it’s you putting the idea of divorce in Lothar’s head. Do you honestly expect me to believe he could have thought this up on his own? This level of scheming is simply beyond him. I would like to remind you that I am married to him. You are nothing more than a side project, and it’s time you realized that fact.

I am on to you and I will not stand for your games. Remember that.

~Theutberga



 May 21, 857

Theutberga,

I can’t say I was pleased to receive your letter. I don’t know why you say Lothar couldn’t have decided to divorce you on his own. It serves as a testament to how much he truly dislikes you that he decided to put this plan in action. Believe me, I had no part in initiating this. Do I support it? Of course—Lothar should not be tied down to you anymore. But I did not plant the idea in his head and I resent you for accusing me of doing so.

I would like to remind you that Lothar’s relationship with me preceded any semblance of a relationship he has with you. We share something real; please don’t kid yourself into thinking you share something even remotely similar. Your union is built on obligation, ours on love. He loves me, not you and it’s time you accepted that.

I tell you this with true concern: it’s time you backed off and got over yourself. You need to recognize when you’ve lost, and this time you have. Please do not contact me again.

~Waldrada


June 5, 857

I am not the one who should be “backing off” as you put it. I am not sure that you fully realize this—perhaps you have chosen to ignore it—but you are ruining my household. The time and attention he gives to you is not his to give; it is time that should be spent with me. You, Waldrada, are a devilish woman and a home wrecker.

Your sin is great. You are leading my husband astray and drawing his attention away from not only me but the kingdom as well. If you give no concern to me, so be it. But think about Lothar’s reputation as a king if you persist in encouraging him to divorce me. You are pulling his focus from where it should be and the state of the kingdom shows this. If, as you say, you love him, allow him to he needs to do as a ruler.

~Theutberga




June 19, 857

You are starting to bore me with your complaints.

I have committed no sin. I am merely honoring a commitment made years ago (a commitment that was, by the way, made and recognized publically). You, on the other hand, have a lot to answer for. Lothar’s lack of love for you is not the only reason he seeks a divorce. No, the greater force at play is the multitude of your sins. You are accused of sleeping with your brother. Your brother, Theutberga! Incest! As if that weren’t enough, you then aborted the fetus that resulted from that first sin. Do not kid yourself by blaming me for putting a negative image of you in Lothar’s head. You drew that image from your own actions.

Now, as for your claim that I am ruining Lothar’s reputation as king, I have a bit more to say. As I said before, I am merely honoring my commitment to him and supporting him in his actions, more than could be said for you. No, your disgusting sins are the only things dragging his reputation through the mud.

You are a pathetic woman with a false sense of security. One day, all that you have will be taken from you and I so look forward to that inevitable day.

~Waldrada

 July 2, 857

Waldrada,

Your last attack on me was a disgusting blow. No matter. The trial for divorce is almost complete and I am quite positive that it will not be approved. You see, my position and power actually do give me some security—not the false sense that you seem convinced of.

Soon, any hopes you had of a real union with Lothar will be dashed. I look forward to that day immensely. And when my position and marriage is once again proclaimed secure, do not think that I will forget all that you have said.

~Theutberga

No comments:

Post a Comment