Tobias and Sara

Tobias and Sara

Monday, February 24, 2014

Dear Jesus: Love letters to Jesus Christ

Dearest Jesus,
            From the day I learned of you, I knew that you would hold my heart in your hands, but baby, you’ve done more than that – you completely own me and every part of me. When I think of you, my heart fills with so much love and passion that I can hardly contain myself. I think of spending every minute of every day praising you, though I cannot do that. But no matter how devoted to my husband I may seem, I promise you that you will always be the love of my life. I thank our Holy Father every day for bringing you to this Earth so that I may love you.
            Yours,
Mathilda

My Beloved Jesus,
I’ve known you were the one for me since I first set foot in that monastery. Before I knew you, truly knew you, I had no idea what love really was – until my heart started aching for you every second I wasn’t in prayer. Every moment I cannot pray, when my life takes me away from truly loving you, I spend holding back tears from the longing I have for you. I never knew it was possible for one to steal my heart and truly made it His; I never knew I could love someone more than my own life. I long for the day when I can finally spend eternity with you. You are my heartbeat, my every gasping breath of life. What I need to survive and make it through this lonely world can only be found by keeping you in my thoughts. Every alm I give, every prayer, I give for you, in case you are approaching me in disguise. I know in my heart that you love me too, from the miracles I experience each and every day. I know it was you who made that deer expel the bottle of wine, and it was on the wind of your breath that the bread I accidentally threw out the window floated down to the starving man.
There aren’t enough words in our language to truly describe the way I feel about you, Jesus. All I know is you, you are the only thing that is in my mind, the only one that is in my soul, the only one who truly and unconditionally has my heart for a lifetime, and for the eternity that awaits (don’t tell my husband). The thought of you keeps me going and going for another breath of fresh air, all to continue my longing for you. You are my inspiration for everything on this Earth – from giving to the poor to building places of worship – all for you. I truly believe that we are meant to be together, and you are the only recipient of all I have to offer, forever. Not even Henry has seen the extent of my love, for it is reserved for you.. Just the thought of you brightens my day completely. I treasure you locked in the safe of my heart. I love you, Jesus, and that is never going to change in my life. Always, and truly, yours forever.
Love,
Mathilda

My love,
I try to put this feeling into words, but fail miserably. This feeling of being both scared and at peace, of having both butterflies and a sense of calm, is a feeling that I had only ever dreamed about. As the days pass, through hardships and happiness, my love for you grows. I never thought I had the capacity to love anybody as much as I love you right now, and I’ve been hit with so much emotion and power that I did not know where to put it all. I’ve stacked it piece by piece in my heart for you. Yet, my love for you continues to mature, growing beyond the realm of my heart. It seems you have become the fiber of my soul, the very reason for my existence. I have no other words to describe the way you make me feel. No words, no actions could even come close. The beloved Saint Augustine stated that the first bond, the natural bond, arises between man and woman, but I think our bond is even stronger than that, for you are more than a man. And while you may not be standing beside me at this moment, I can feel your love raining down on me every day, and so I am at peace.
My eternal adoration,
Mathilda


My Darling,
Oh my love, how I need you in this moment. My Henry, my beloved son, gone. How can I bear it? I spend every moment in prayer, trying to connect my soul to yours – an escape of love. My Jesus, my darling, life seems so dark, though you bring a flickering candle into the darkened cavern. This letter must be short, for I must attend to grieving, but my love, how I need you in this moment.
Love through hardship, always,
Mathilda

My Beloved,
            The time is nearing for me to spend eternity with you. How I’ve waited all these years, hoping I would see you as an angel. How I’ve prayed. I’ve built monasteries and held prayers and dedicated my life to you, and I can only hope that it has been enough. On my dying day, I swear to it that I will consume your body as sacrament, so that I may fend off the attacks of the devil and be united with you, my love. And while I feel the bitter sickness tugging at my frail body, I am at peace knowing that this life will soon pass, and I will be with you forever. Dear Jesus, my love, you have been faithfully the love of my life. I beg of you to receive me well after my journey to you, so that we may live in heaven together for all of eternity.
For always and eternity,

Mathilda

No comments:

Post a Comment