Tobias and Sara

Tobias and Sara

Monday, February 24, 2014

A Love Letter to Queen Mathilda

Your Royal Majesty Queen Mathilda of Germany,
I write to you as your humble and devoted servant on this the 14th of February, a fitting day, I believe, to compose such a letter as this.  For I must confess that, though I have had the opportunity to observe you only from afar, being unworthy of the honor of approaching Your Majesty in a more intimate manner, I nevertheless feel in both my heart and soul an overwhelming love for Your Majesty’s eminent grace and virtue.  Having witnessed on several occasions your remarkable magnanimity and having heard various and wondrous tales of your deeds, I do believe that in both your words and actions you have come to exemplify both the duties of a wife and queen as well as the chasteness of a true Christian woman.

It has been recorded in the annals of your glorious dynasty that you trace your lineage from the venerable Widikund who, as the story says, was by the grace of God and the benevolence of the reverend bishop Boniface turned away from the spiritual penury of paganism to embrace the Christian faith.  Just as he became a true and devout servant of our Lord, so too have you seen fit to devote large amounts of your wealth to the establishment and upkeep of monasteries and nunneries across the realm. Not only do you lavish your wealth upon the servants of God, but you willingly give to the poor on every possible occasion. For it is said that Your Majesty “neither [lusts] for wealth nor [fears] poverty” and that your “hand [is] always open to the poor”; indeed, you believe Christ’s own body to be hidden beneath the rags of the destitute who come to you for succor. 

It is amazing when one considers the words of those who sing your praises, that even after the abrupt passing of your husband the King of blessed memory, you comport yourself “with such complete modesty that many people would have thought [Your Majesty to be] a maiden, had they not seen the great multitude of [Your Majesty’s] offspring.”  And indeed, it is this which sets you apart from most other women, that even as you are bound by the earthly obligations of a queen and wife, you do not let your secular duties tear you wholly away from your devotion to spiritual matters. One need only look to the exalted characters of your numerous children to see that you have not shirked your duties as a mother even as you have worked so diligently to serve the Lord. 

If only my wife would conduct herself according to your most lofty example!  Unlike Your Majesty, she hoards her wealth for her own pleasure. I have numerous times caught her nodding off during church services, while it is said that you are daily occupied in fervent prayers.  I heard tell of a peculiar miracle, in which Your Majesty tossed a loaf of bread from a cliff into the valley below, intending with it to feed the hungry peasantry.  The loaf, it is said, fell unbroken into the lap of the peasant for which it was intended. Had my wife possessed that loaf of bread, she would doubtless have just eaten it herself, so given is she to gluttony!  Would that I, in my younger years, had met a woman such as you whom I might have made my wife!

In your marriage to the late King Henry, you surely conducted yourself in accordance with the ideals of conjugal chastity.  I marvel only (and I pray Your Majesty not find it too presumptuous of me to ponder such a thing) that the King did not mind you leaving his bed at night to spend your time in solitary prayer, or that he gave you leave to question his legal decisions and intervene on behalf of those who had incited his anger.  Did he never feel that his authority was being undermined? The only explanation  can be this – that he viewed Your Majesty’s exceeding holiness as such a boon both to his court, his kingdom, and his legacy that he too was swept up by your zealous chastity. For as it is said of Your Majesty and the late King Henry: “In them lived one love for Christ, a shared sense of goodness, one will pleasing to God, and a singular capacity for righteousness.”

I leave you, then, with this pithy exhortation to your immense virtue.  Though I must continue to admire you from afar, being myself unworthy to approach your eminence and myself a married man, I pray that you hold these words dear to your heart, and continue in your pursuit of righteousness.

With love,

Your Most Ardent Admirer


[All quotes taken from Gilsdorf, Sean, trans.  Queenship and Sanctity: The ‘Lives’ of Mathilda and the ‘Epitaph’ of Adelheid.  Washington D.C.:  The Catholic University of America Press, 2004.]

No comments:

Post a Comment