Tobias and Sara

Tobias and Sara

Monday, February 24, 2014

Ask a Saint

Ask a Saint with St. Jerome: Valentine’s Day Edition
Here at Ask a Saint, we have something a little different for you all this weekend. Since Valentine’s Day is approaching we thought we would ask a very special guest saint to come answer your questions so… This week we have Saint Jerome here to answer all of your Valentine’s Day-related questions!
Saint Jerome has been doling out advice on Christianity, virginity, sex, love and marriage in the city of Rome for years. And we are so honored to have him writing for us. He has chosen three questions related to Valentine’s Day, or what he likes to call “Unimportant Earthly Love Day”!

Dear Saint: I am a young woman living just outside of Rome. My parents died when I was young so my married brother and his wife graciously took me in and raised me. I believe our neighbor, a fine young man who I am not impartial to but who I am not partial to either, is going to ask for my hand in marriage this Friday, on St. Valentine’s Day. He has also hinted his desire for certain unmentionable acts, that I will not embarrass myself and yourself by explaining in detail, so I ask you how I should act. What should I do? I do not particularly want to get married. I am both indifferent towards marriage and indifferent towards this man, but I know my brother would encourage me towards both. How should I act?
Saint Jerome: DO NOT ENGAGE IN EARTHLY DESIRES. I cannot put it more plainly to you. God cannot raise up those who have fallen. You were born a virgin and you should live your life as a virgin. Live a celibate life. You shouldn’t think about marriage. Marriage is of no consequence to your immortal soul. Embrace a Christian life of celibacy like I have already suggested.

Dear Saint: I have been married for a year now and my wife and I are going to be celebrating our first Valentine’s day together. Any advice on how to have a good Christian Valentine’s Day? I want to celebrate Valentine’s day the right way.
Saint Jerome: Don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day. That is how you will be a good Christian. Also live a chaste married life. I would recommend a celibate life, but you have most likely already engaged in that most deplorable of acts and are therefore beyond my help. Do not sucumb to your carnal desires!

Dear Saint: I am a young Christian woman and my parents often argue over my future. My father wants me to marry into a good family and my mother wants me to live a good Christian life. I thought that according to Saint Augustine that you could be married and a good Christian, but my parents argue about it so much and I do not know what to think. I think I want to get married, but I am not sure. All of my friends are married and celebrating their first Valentine’s Day with their husbands. I feel like I should get married to, so that I can celebrate too. Help?
Saint Jerome: DO NOT GET MARRIED. There is nothing so deplorable as marriage. Marriage will not help you in the kingdom of heaven. Marriage is an earthly pleasure. Good Christians should deal only with the heavenly. I advise you to take up the habit. To live a celibate life away from earthly desires. You will be God’s bride which is far better than being the bride of any man. I personally find the idea of a whole day dedicated to celebrating earthly love to be unChristian and reprehensible. All good Christians should devote their lives to God’s service and to loving Him.

Saint Jerome has been living a good Christian life in the city of Rome for many years. He has written extensively on the subject of marriage, love and sex. He lives a solitary celibate life.


Next Week’s Ask a Saint topic is… Lent! Saint Augustine will be back answering your queries. So send us your questions so that you can be prepared for the season of Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment