Andrea Capellanus: Hello.
Marie de France: Okay! Lets move on to our first hopeless romantic! This is a question sent in from a woman named Lilith, who writes “I have noticed in the past few weeks that my lover has been with one of his knights quite often. I worry that his love for him is becoming greater than his love for me. Should I be worried that my lover may be taken from me?”
Andrea Capellanus: I assure you, Lilith, that you have no need to be worried. First, if you have fallen for this knight, then he must have a good character that would not allow him to seek affection from anyone other than you. Most importantly, love cannot exist between people of the same sex. For whatever nature forbids, love is ashamed to accept.
Marie de France: While I do respect my co-host’s opinion, I have to disagree. I do think there are different types of relationships. There are the relationships between women and men, men and men, and lastly man and god. A woman and a man can have romantic love for each other, or a friendship. A relationship between a man and a man, especially those who are knights, can become a deep bond of friendship, loyalty and trust. It is possible that there is a bond between your lover and his friend, although I do not think you should feel threatened that his love will decrease for you. I would watch out for competing obligations--that is, his obligation to you as a lover and his obligation of loyalty to his companion.
Andrea Capellanus: I also respect my co-host’s opinion, despite the fact that she is a daughter of Eve. It appears to me that if you are so worried that your lover might abandon you, then he probably did not have a good character to begin with. Thus it is you, Lilith, who should worry about your own love choices.
Marie de France: I am going to let that “daughter of Eve” comment slide this time. Love is something that cannot be helped, and in some cases the greatest stories of love revolve around pain and the absence of love. I do not think this is Lilith’s fault at all.
Andrea Capellanus: Wait a minute…
Marie de France: Let’s take a break! Here’s the hit new single “Brave Sir Robin” by the Monty Python Minstrels, who have become quite popular despite their recent police arrest.
Commercial Break
Marie de France: Now we’re back, and I do hope you enjoyed the song. We left off helping one of our listeners, and now move on to another hopeless romantic. This is from Sir Edwin, who writes, “I have fallen in love with a beautiful maiden of lower rank than I. I am obligated to marry someone of my own status or higher. Is it wrong for me to take this woman as my lover?” Well first off, Sir Edwin, by beautiful do you mean she has a rightly proportioned nose? No matter, love cannot be helped, and even if you do take a wife, the love you have for her will still hold true.
Andrea Capellanus: Beauty is important, but so are character and a person’s actions. Women are manipulative creatures, and she may seek you as a means to increasing her rank.
Marie de France: That is untrue! I am sure that this maiden is a beautiful and loving person. In my lai “Le Fresne”, a knight and a lowborn maiden end up falling in love and actually marrying each other. So there is hope.
Andrea Capellanus: Oh really … because if I recall correctly, that maiden ended up being of noble birth, and only then did they marry. Strange that the very author of that lai would forget such a pivotal moment. In fact, I am not sure what qualifies my co-host as such a expert in love.
Marie de France: You just had to cross that line … Funny that all this backtalk is coming from a cleric. Where exactly are your qualifications when it comes to love?
Andrea Capellanus: Well this certainly has been an enlightening experience ... So enlightening that I think I have to leave and think it over, and never come back!
Marie de France: Well you heard it, Ladies and Gentleman! This will conclude tonight’s show of “Love Lessons”. Stay tuned for a special edition of the Jerry Springer show, with the married couple Iwein and Laudine. He killed her husband and she married him! Watch the two battle it out! Next week we’ll welcome guest author James Schultz to discuss “Heterosexuality and You’”. Thank you for listening to “Less Talk, More Action!”
No comments:
Post a Comment