Tobias and Sara

Tobias and Sara

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Craigslist: Missed Connections: Courtly Love



Beauty; we see it with our eyes, but how does it affect our hearts? A picture says a thousand words, but does a person’s appearance say everything one needs to know about them? The idea of love entering one’s heart through the eyes or ears sounds ridiculous to the modern single person. Beauty enters the eyes, not love. Love is viewed as an outward action, something to give, and something to show. But in medieval times it was much more an affliction which one could not control. We’ve all heard of ‘love at first sight’, but that usually entails an approach, a conversation, or maybe even a date aside from the aforementioned ‘sight’. That was not necessarily the case with Courtly Love, and truly, is not the case even sometimes today. Ever heard of Craigslist’s ‘missed connections’? It’s a portion of the site for people who just see a person once and become so infatuated with them that they put up an ad hoping the object of their desire will see it and reply. I feel that this is exactly the modern day equivalent to Courtly Love.


CraigsList: Missed Connections:
Arthur’s Court - Green veil m4w:
Oh fairest of maidens, I saw you not yet a fortnight ago and you are the most beautiful girl I have ever laid eyes on. You have blond hair and you were wearing a shimmering green veil around your shoulders. Right as your beauty entered my heart through my eyes I lost my breath. You walked into Arthur's court at about midday and my heart stopped. Pray only our Lord knows how I survived that first sight. The way the sun glinted off your golden locks I could tell that you were noble. I observed you for a time while you were there, gathered with some other noble women. I noticed every aspect of your noble bearing. Your radiance not only entered into my heart through my eyes, but my ears were captured with your reputation as well. I have already devoted myself to you with all of my heart. I cannot sleep or eat with these thoughts of you in my heart. If you remember the sight of me, and feel the same, please respond to my inquiry. Tell me what color your brilliant eyes are so I know that it is you.

Noble man - north of Canterbury w4m:
Dear noble knight who has been traveling north of Canterbury for about a month. I have heard of your great reputation and immediately dedicated all of my love to you and your noble bearing. A friend of mine has met you and told me of your clear nobility and of your brilliant garments. That was two weeks ago and I have known since then that you are the only one I could ever devote myself to. I hope that you receive this message well and that my reputation enters your heart through your ears just as yours entered mine. Please respond with haste, as I cannot sleep at night knowing that you are away from me. Tell me on what day you were at the Inn at Canterbury so that I know it is you.

Fair Maiden w/ porcelain skin m4w:
I saw you at the home of Sir William three days ago. We exchanged glances and I believe you are the most beautiful lady I have ever seen. Although I could tell by the sight of you, I was later assured after some inquiry, that your noble birth is equal to mine. The people I met there said such lovely things about you that I do not think there is any way that I could have not fallen in love with your reputation. You left quite abruptly after I saw you. Since then all I have been able to think about is your immense beauty and your glowing porcelain skin. Please reply to this message with the name of Sir William’s wife so that I know it is you.

Man on horse w4m:
I saw you ride by on a horse outside of York seven days ago; I immediately fell in love with you. You have stunning looks and are clearly of noble birth. You were on a white horse and had on lavish armor. When you respond please tell me what your coat of arms was so that I know you are the right man.

Woman – Perfect reputation m4w:
I don’t know your name, or where you are from, or what you look like, but I heard some men at the market talking about you and your great reputation and I immediately fell in love with you. Lady Love struck my heart and now I am a slave to you. I know you will see this and when you respond I will know it is you; please respond as quickly as possible.

Beautiful m4w:
You were riding down Main Street in a covered carriage today around noon. I only caught a glimpse of you but I could tell by your perfectly symmetrical eyes, your nose, and mouth - which were both perfectly placed on your face - that you were of noble birth. A glimpse was all I needed to see your true noble grace and beauty. It has been three hours since then and you are all I can think of. My wisdom has left me and I have been acting foolish around my companions. I know this is an act of Lady Love. You are my one true love and I will not rest until I find you and all of your incredible beauty. What can I do until we are together? I will sit here in my chambers and write about my love for you. But alas! I have nowhere to send my lamentations because I do not know where you live or where you are from or what family you belong to! Woe is this torment of love! Surely I will not be able to sleep tonight. Reply with the most haste because I am in great pain while I do not know who you are. Tell me what the color of your carriage is so that I truly know that it is you.

The most noble of men – Shared a dance w4m:
I met you at the Annual Feast of the King. I believe your name is Sir John. We laughed and danced and your reputation is only exceeded by your looks. My eyes could not look directly at your beautiful face so I had to look away quite often from your piercing gaze. I was wearing a blue dress and my hair was braided on my head. I hope that you remember me and are equally enamored with my looks and reputation for I believe we are of the same noble class. Your stature is so courtly and I am devoted to you with all of my heart. I must posses your love. Please respond or I will surely be in love with you without fulfillment forever.

Disguised woman m4w:

I saw you in town and I believe you were a noble woman disguised as a common woman in order to avert attention from unwanted suitors. You tripped in the street and as your cloak shifted I caught a glimpse of the radiant skin on your right arm. I could tell immediately that you were of noble blood. Glowing skin like that is a clear sign of courtly birth. Now that I have seen your beauty I cannot un-see it. Your beauty has struck my eyes and it has entered my heart where I believe it will remain forever. I shall revisit the place where I first saw you everyday this week at noon, on the chance that you will be there again and we may meet. If you see this please meet me there or else I will be plagued with this lovesickness for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment