Tobias and Sara

Tobias and Sara

Monday, October 27, 2014

What Theutberga and Waldrada Said ...

This conversation was overheard by a servant who was packing Theutberga’s belongings. It takes place around 860, after it has been found out that Theutberga’s trial by ordeal was a sham, and the council decides on an annulment.


Scene: A huge chamber. Servants are moving in and out, carrying Theutberga’s belongings. Waldrada enters, appraising the place, seeing what she wants to change and what will stay the same when she moves in. Theutberga is slightly older than Waldrada, maybe by a year. Theutberga is a blonde, while Waldrada is a brunette. Theutberga is tall and elegant, almost swanlike, while Waldrada is shorter and curvier. When Waldrada see Theutberga she walks right up to her. A servant girl sees this and pauses her work, knowing that what is about to happen will be extremely juicy court gossip.


Waldrada: (Sighs.) It is such a pity that you have to move out again. It is for the best, though. Lothar will be happy and that will allow him to rule his kingdom properly. Are you going to try and perform another miracle to get out of this? (Snickers at her own wittiness.)

Theutberga: (Snidely) I can see why he likes you. You provide him with entertainment.

Waldrada: (Picks up one of Theutberga’s garments. Examines it, seemingly absentmindedly) Oh, I do more than that.

Theutberga: (Internally bristling. She takes a moment to collect herself. Moves toward the window, away from the servants. She is a woman of class who doesn’t want her personal life on display. The servant girl strains her neck to hear.) What position did you have?

Waldrada: I am the wife of the king.

Theutberga: You misheard me. What position did you have before you supposedly married Lothar?

Waldrada: (Silence. Waldrada looks down stubbornly. She knows Theutberga is right, but she doesn’t want let her know.)

Theutberga: (A slight smirk on her face. She loves that she’s right, but she still wants to behave like a lady.) As I thought. You can bring nothing to this marriage. You have no connections. You have nothing that will actually strengthen the king’s rule. You are just a pretty face.

Waldrada: (Fierce, almost hissing.) I am not just a pretty face. I can bear children. I was also a virgin when I married Lothar. You, however, were not. And I’ve heard it was with your own brother, too. It is quite unsavory. You are lucky you just get an annulment. It could be so much worse. You could have been done away with.

Theutberga: (Waves her hand dismissively) He could never kill me. I have too many connections. A war would be started over my death. The funny thing is that you continue to paint me as a monster. Think, however, about who brought this so-called monster into the palace.

Waldrada: (Indignant) You brought yourself into the palace—my palace. You used sorcery to enchant him into marrying you!

Theutberga: (A snort escapes Theutberga’s nose. She couldn’t help herself. She takes a breath and shakes her head. It can be very difficult to try to explain things to someone as thick as Waldrada.) No. Someone much simpler than that. Your darling Lothar brought me into the palace. He makes himself to be the victim by claiming it is my fault for the failed marriage, but that is not possible. He is the king; he made  the decision to marry me and bring me here. He cannot be the victim if he chose to do this. Lothar is just as monstrous as I am because he married me. Congratulations, Waldrada, you are married to a beast.

Waldrada: (Her mouth is agape. She opens and closes it trying to formulate a response.)

Theutberga: (Gives her a smile. It’s wolf-like.) Now, if you will excuse me.
I have to finish packing my chambers.

No comments:

Post a Comment