The Players:
Fredegar- hired by Lothar to spy on Waldrada and Theutberga
Waldrada- First queen of Lothar, living in the royal castle
Theutberga- Second, ‘lawful’ queen of Lothar, also living in the castle
Hubert- Theutberga’s brother, and accused lover
Rosalind- Fredegar’s sweetie and a serving girl
Clovis- A stableboy
Our Scene:
860 AD, the court of Lothar II, Carolingian king.
Nov 12th, 860
Let me start at the beginning, or at least the beginning of my involvement in this sordid state of affairs. I’ve saved up enough to buy some low grade parchment and cheap ink from the monks so that I can record the events as they truly happened. I’ll write through the night until my inkwell runs dry and my candles extinguish themselves.
Who am I, you may ask? I’m Fredegar- a nobody- Just another wretch trying to survive by his wits and his brawn, like every other joker here at the castle. My father was an innkeeper who also happened to be a spy for Emperor Lothar. The first Lothar. He agreed to take me and raise me in the royal house as an honorable payment for some choice information my father gave him, which proved invaluable in helping the king win a victory in a major battle. After realizing that I made a terrible squire, a worse cook, and had no sense of piety although the monks said I was quick to learn, they found a spot for me among the scribes and record keepers of the castle.
This work suits me. I’m left alone for much of the time and live comfortably in a sparsely furnished chamber in a long neglected wing of the castle. I'm treated well and have made a name for myself. Because of the time I spent trying to find my career path, I’m familiar with just about everyone here, from the royals down to the scullery maids. I like to know what’s going on and people come to me first when they need to dig up some dirt on someone. But I never expected the king to step into my room late the other night.
This work suits me. I’m left alone for much of the time and live comfortably in a sparsely furnished chamber in a long neglected wing of the castle. I'm treated well and have made a name for myself. Because of the time I spent trying to find my career path, I’m familiar with just about everyone here, from the royals down to the scullery maids. I like to know what’s going on and people come to me first when they need to dig up some dirt on someone. But I never expected the king to step into my room late the other night.
Lothar is not a physically imposing man. But royal blood surges through his veins and his presence commands attention. I rose from my chair in surprise and offered it to him. He threw his ermine cloak over the back of it, but did not sit down, instead he began pacing back and forth distractedly. After some time he sat down.
“Fredegar-“ He began but lost his thoughts. We spent several minutes in silence until he began again.
“Fredegar, we have known each other most of our lives and have never been extremely close, but I come to you now out of desperation. I need you to be my eyes and ears. I need you to find out what you can about the schemes of Waldrada and Theutberga. I don’t trust my advisers and it’s well known that you have ways of finding out even the most hidden secrets. I’m afraid Waldrada’s hiding something from me… My father trusted your father. Let us also have a mutually beneficial relationship.”
“Fredegar-“ He began but lost his thoughts. We spent several minutes in silence until he began again.
“Fredegar, we have known each other most of our lives and have never been extremely close, but I come to you now out of desperation. I need you to be my eyes and ears. I need you to find out what you can about the schemes of Waldrada and Theutberga. I don’t trust my advisers and it’s well known that you have ways of finding out even the most hidden secrets. I’m afraid Waldrada’s hiding something from me… My father trusted your father. Let us also have a mutually beneficial relationship.”
I didn’t know what to say. This was not a request but a royal command. He expected my agreement. I nodded and he quickly got up to leave. He turned as he walked out the door. “Meet me outside the chapel in two days to report your information to me. I’m trusting you and only you, Fredegar, and I’ll reward you handsomely for your help.” And with a flourish of his cloak he disappeared down the darkened hall. Whatever you’re paying me, I thought to myself, isn’t worth getting involved in this mess.
The next morning I set out for the stables. If you want to know what’s really happening in a royal court make friends with a minstrel, a priest, and a stableboy. Clovis was there as usual, wiping down a hotblooded destrier just back from his morning run. Waldrada often came down to ride her palfrey with her ladies and I told Clovis to keep his ears open when they’re around. He’s a good lad. His hair is long and the color of black walnut dye, but his eyes a little too close together and he has a bit of a harelip. For all of that, he’s affectionate with the beasts and seems to prefer the company of horses to that of men. Can’t say I blame him. I tossed him a slice of butter cake and headed back to my quarters.
I came to a dead stop at the top of the stairs leading to my chamber and quickly jumped behind some ragged old purple drapery and listened carefully. I clearly heard Waldrada’s voice and a male voice talking in low, hushed tones outside my chamber door, but I couldn’t understand what they were saying except brief phrases such as “does she suspect anything yet?” and “…she is alone at…” After several minutes of this I heard the heavy sound of male footsteps descending the opposite staircase and Waldrada began walking towards my hiding place.
I jumped out and lightly touched her arm. “Who dares to touch the queen!?” She let out a little squeal of surprise, then quickly narrowed her eyes and looked me up and down. “Oh it’s just you. I was hoping to catch you here. We need to talk.” She grabbed my hand and we hurried into the chamber and locked the door.
I jumped out and lightly touched her arm. “Who dares to touch the queen!?” She let out a little squeal of surprise, then quickly narrowed her eyes and looked me up and down. “Oh it’s just you. I was hoping to catch you here. We need to talk.” She grabbed my hand and we hurried into the chamber and locked the door.
She turned to me, her eyes flashing fire. “Where have you been? With that serving wench Rosalind again? Oh well, it doesn’t matter.” She turned her back to me in mock anger. She was stunning: wide, feminine hips; glossy flaxen hair, the blue eyes of a wolf. Her undertunic was a rich burgundy, the over tunic a vivid indigo. Delicate gold thread was embroidered in a leaf pattern on her low slung belt. She was breathtaking and she knew it. You might say we were familiar with each other. We met at a banquet a few years ago and have seen a lot of each other since. Lothar has been so preoccupied with Theutberga he hasn’t even noticed, and I’m sure I’m not her only lover.
“I want you to gather information for me about Lothar.” She said quietly. “I know he’s hiding things from me about his relationship with Theutberga. He knows things about the future of their union and I need to know what. It might involve Hubert. He won’t tell me anything and I’m afraid.” She gave me a long, lingering kiss and flashed her icy blue eyes at me. Please Fredegar, I need your help. Don’t make me handle things on my own.” And with that she was gone.
I sat, stunned, for a few minutes and drank a cup of mead with unsteady hands. I was in a real mess, now. I knew exactly what Waldrada and the rest of them were capable of if they found out who I was really working for. Who was I working for, anyway? I was nervous, and it showed.
As soon as I began to relax a sharp, terrified scream pierced the silence. Rosalind found me in the hall, her face as white as a ghost. “Fredegar!” She gasped. “It’s Theutberga! She’s been attacked in her room!” The poor girl was shaking like a leaf. I held her in my arms for a second to comfort her and then we rushed off to find out what happened…
As soon as I began to relax a sharp, terrified scream pierced the silence. Rosalind found me in the hall, her face as white as a ghost. “Fredegar!” She gasped. “It’s Theutberga! She’s been attacked in her room!” The poor girl was shaking like a leaf. I held her in my arms for a second to comfort her and then we rushed off to find out what happened…
To Be Continued…
No comments:
Post a Comment