Tobias and Sara

Tobias and Sara

Monday, October 27, 2014

The Kingly Classifieds

M4W: King Seeking Queen for Marriage
   I am a newly-appointed king seeking a noblewoman for marriage. Those without the proper lineage and influence to support the kingdom need not apply. I am looking for someone pious, but not to the point of excess. She should conduct herself respectfully at all times and perform her duties as queen without delay. It is important to remember that you serve an integral role in the political sphere: it will do no good to try and lead a cloistered life and shirk your duties as queen, as the Frankish queen Radegund did. You must serve my interests and represent me when I am not present. At feasts, you must make sure that our guests are comfortable, and prevent insult to any foreign nations that visit our palace. As queen, you will be a central figure in palace life, and all eyes will be upon you. Therefore, it is crucial that you carry yourself with grace. Above all else, we must remember to put the needs of the kingdom first.
   As a side note, I already have a lovely woman in my life with whom I have lived for a number of years. Now that I am king, however, I must find a partner whose family will offer support to my newly-found leadership. My companion’s family lacks the influence and power necessary for such a partnership, yet I am still very much in love with her. Love and marriage are often separate, so this does not mean that you and I cannot have a happy and blessed union. Heirs often strengthen a political marriage, and as queen it is your duty to raise our children well so that ours sons might one day succeed me. I need a queen who will not be the jealous type, and will not let my relationships get in the way of ruling our kingdom.
If you believe this may be you, please send an email to carolingianking@lotharingia.gov. I look forward to hearing from you.
M4W: Seeking Woman for Romantic Relationship

      I have been married to my queen for a couple of years, but as so often happens with royal matches, we are not as romantically compatible as we hoped. Therefore, I am seeking someone to take as a lover. It is almost expected that kings will have concubines, and you will gain a respected place in court. Discretion and modesty are important: it would do no good to shame our kingdom by acting disgracefully. I am looking for a woman who will make a good companion and who has a respectable background. I do not wish to make a spectacle like other kings have in the past: queens and lovers are both important, and neither should be slighted. Unlike my cousin Lothar II, I have nothing against my queen. She is a kind and gracious woman who performs her duties with great dignity. I do not wish to seek an annulment, or to raise false charges against the queen to have her dismissed. I am looking for someone who understands how to navigate such difficult situations, and will not attempt to use my affection to further her own position at court. If you think we might have a chance at romance, please contact me! I await your reply at temporalpower@thefranks.gov.

No comments:

Post a Comment