Tobias and Sara

Tobias and Sara

Friday, November 21, 2014

The Case of King Sigebert’s Death

In the case of the murder of Sigebert, King of the Franks, Queen Brunhild is a main suspect for reasons of close association with the victim and her past correspondence to the late King Chilperic. As a person of interest in the case, this file consists of the known whereabouts and activities of the queen; including her regular activities.
Note: King Chilperic is King Sigebert’s brother


Section 3:  Queen Brunhild’s Activities
This section of the case file encloses the details and evidence of the queen’s regular activities.


Section 3, Article 10: Queen Brunhild’s Afternoon Talks with Confidant
These records consist of the dialogue between Queen Brunhild and her confidant on the afternoon of her husband’s, the kings, death. The confidant shall remain nameless, but their friendship was well known throughout court. Like all of their weekly meetings, the confidant and the queen resided indoors in the queen’s chambers. It was routine for these meetings to explore the queen’s inner thoughts and have them briefly scribed. As such, the notes were scribed by the confidant and passed on to the lords of the court as evidence for trial.
The Correspondence of Queen Brunhild and Confidant:


Queen Brunhild is facing out the far window from the door as the Confidant walks in.
Confidant: Shuts door behind her. My queen, what troubles you?
Queen Brunhild: Whispers It is my life.
C: Not having heard her queen. Whose life?
QB: It is my life. Starting at a young age in this wicked position.
C: I am sure I do not know what you mean.
QB: Turns away from window to face confidant. Being the Queen of the Franks! There is no worse hardship. Especially in these times! I have endured this for far too long.
C: Endured what, my queen?
QB: Paces to the other end of the room parallel to the confidant. The blame for these dreadful crimes. I did not scheme to have the kings quarrel and start this hatred and war between them. What happened? How did this all go wrong? I used to be admired and venerated; seen as a goddess come down from heaven. Walks to the back of her nearby chair and places hands on the chair. I did not cause all this. Pauses with hands on the back of her chair looking at the floor. I hear rumors, dreadful rumors.
C: Takes a few slow paces towards the queen. Rumors are always circling the royal family. Perhaps there is no need for your distress. What kind of rumors have you heard?
QB: Looks up sharply. The kind that can get a queen executed. Throws hand up in the air. They are running wild all over the castle. They say I killed my husband, the king. That I caused the war between the brothers out of my own vanity, and therefore schemed their vengeful actions. I find it ironic how beauty brought me to the crown, and now it is taking it from me. Looks about the room with her face looking distraught.
C: Sits in the chair across from the queen’s chair. My lady, you mustn’t worry. I’m sure your son will find reason and appeal in your favor.
QB: Scoffs. My son. Do mean my half-witted, cruel, malicious son, Clothar?
C: Surely he will see reason? He is your son.
QB: Faces and walks towards confidant with a stern face. That boy will put my head on a spike and enjoy it. No, there will be no mercy from him; I can assure you of that. No. Paces away from Confidant. My husband was a fool and so is my son. Drawing out Chilperic to meet his death was the wrong way to kill him. Turns to face confidant. Killing him on our own lands; why didn’t Sigebert see the foolishness in his plan? Walks towards confidant. The problem with kings is that they never listen to the rationale of their queens. Blinded by hate and greed, they never see what is coming.
C: Says in a suggesting voice of positive connotation My Lady, I’m sure the king has more depth than that of his own desires.
QB: What? If I were to do it, I would have done it away from castle grounds...
C: Looks weary
QB: Leans on the back of the chair with gripping hands. You think me not capable of such deeds? A queen must do what she needs to in order to secure the kingdom and its people. And now these very people whom we protect are threatening the crown for these unlawful deeds. These rumors are dangerous, for Chilperic’s followers out of vengeance have killed Sigbert and will now kill me with their clever plots.
C: stands up from chair. There must be something to be done. You did not kill your husband. There must be some way to clear your name.
QB: No, I did not kill him. But Clothar will see to it that I am punished. *Focuses on one spot in the room thinking of a plan.* I could poison him.
C: What? Poison Clothar?
QB: Well why not? He’ll poison the kingdom if I die. *pauses* Ugh, no, that will not work. I will just be suspected by the lords of the court. It will not clear my name.
C: Moves towards the queen until about two feet away from queen. Perhaps talking to Clothar and persuading his mind he will see reason and pardon whatever charges have been brought against you.
QB: There is no reasoning with him. I have already tried. No, I shall bear whatever fate sets before me. I just pray it be quick and just.

No comments:

Post a Comment