Queen Elinor of Dunbroch, Revealed!
Interview conducted by myself ( Interviewer ), for a magazine on royal life
Interviewer: Hello, and thank you for being here today as part of our ongoing series of interviews with queens throughout the ages!
Queen Elinor: You are very welcome.
Interviewer: Now, let’s get some background information out of the way.Can you tell me briefly where you are from?
Queen Elinor: I have spent the entirety of my life in the Scottish Highlands, next to the ocean. There are few places more beautiful, more spirited. Years ago I married the head of Clan Dunbroch, Fergus. Since then, we have been blessed with four beautiful, if sometimes challenging, children. My oldest, Merida, is particularly rebellious.
Interviewer: How did you and your husband meet?
Queen Elinor: Oh, it was an arranged marriage, of course.
Interviewer: How did you feel about that? Most of the other queens I’ve spoken with have had arranged marriages as well.
Queen Elinor: Well, at first I had my reservations. It was extremely nerve wrenching to marry someone I had never met, someone my parents had selected for me. Overall, it turned out very well. Fergus and I make a fantastic pair, and I love him very much.
Interviewer: Now, some of the other queens I’ve talked to have some rather ... well, interesting tales of how their husbands "found" them. Many of them have become queens in a foreign land.
Queen Elinor: I could never imagine that. I had a hard enough time adjusting to castle Dunbroch when I first arrived, and that was within the Highlands!
Interviewer: I bet. So, what do you think of kings marrying women from countries they have conquered--making conquered women queens, that is?
Queen Elinor: I recognize why they do so. It is important for the unity of the kingdom. Marriage can be a tool through which political alliances are forged, which I imagine is especially important when gaining the allegiance of newly conquered subjects.
Interviewer: On that note, let’s shift our conversation to your political role as queen. You exercise considerable political power, more than I have seen with many other queens. Take Balthild, for example. Her influence and legacy are limited to her contributions and dedication to religion. You are one of the first queens I’ve spoken with who plays an active political role in the running of a kingdom.
Queen Elinor: A queen should not be limited by religion, or be unable to exercise any political power. A king and queen should rule as a pair. That is what I do, at least. My husband and I have different strengths. He is a masterful military leader and brings clans together through that. They look to him for guidance and protection. Granted, he can get a bit overzealous. For a while, every time there was a clan gathering, we would have to get all new taxidermied bears afterwards because he would lead everyone in “bear hunts.”
Interviewer: (Chuckling) Yes, your kingdom has had a problem with bears.
Queen Elinor: So, in cases like that, I step in. I remind my husband when it is time to be a leader, to be serious. From time to time I address the clans concerning important matters. They respect me. I think they are a bit afraid of me, to be honest.
Interviewer: I get that impression. Have you heard of Hincmar of Rheims? He compiled a manual on “ the governance of the palace.” In that text, he writes that the job of the queen should be solely relegated to the running of the home, and ceremonial matters. What do you think of that?
Queen Elinor: I have heard of him, and I strongly disagree with his ideas on what role a queen should occupy. Given that, I do agree with what he has to say on queenly behavior and decorum. A queen should carry herself with dignity. I try--I am still trying--to impress that upon my daughter. I firmly believe that a queen should look the part, even if her behavior is unconventional. Just because Merida enjoys spending time pursuing archery, does not mean she should spurn learning how to correctly welcome foreign ambassadors.
Interviewer: Speaking of Merida, I was wondering if you could expand upon the issue of her marriage. I know you have butted heads with her over it in the past.
Queen Elinor: The marriage of our daughter is extremely important. Given the recent change in our marriage laws, she will be allowed to choose whom she marries. I have to trust in her judgement, that she will do what is best for her and the kingdom. Merida is my husband’s heir, not just because she is the oldest. My sons are triplets, and the idea of trying to divide the kingdom among the three of them one day would lead to disaster.
Interviewer: Well, let’s take a break. Before we do, do you have any parting words of advice?
Queen Elinor: Yes: a queen’s power comes first from within.
No comments:
Post a Comment