A Short Dramatic Sequel to Marie de France’s Lanval
Dramatis Personae:
The Fairy Queen: A magical lady of remarkable wealth, beauty and influence. Possessed with other worldly powers—a true boss-ass bitch. Lives in the wilds of Avalon.
The Good Knight Lanval: A noble fellow who has for many moons been the The Fairy Queen’s lover and companion. He has long since forgotten the ways of courtly life and lives in sumptuous excess in Avalon.
The Moon: A narrator and helpful guide.
Various Fairy Companions and Servants
Scene One:
(A clearing in the forest of Avalon. The Moon enters- it is night)
The Moon: Welcome friends! Come and gather close,
And I’ll sing you a story in poetry- not prose.
I am the silver ring-ed moon on high,
Who watches Fairy dances through my silvery eye.
Not so long ago, a Fairy Queen took a Knight for a lover.
He was Lanval, the kindliest knight you’d ever discover.
While they have been together I’ve much waxed and waned …
But for how much longer can their love be sustained?
(Enter the Fairy Queen and her retinue. Lanval follows at a distance, drinking a bottle of fairy wine.)
The Fairy Queen: Oh, Lanval, my ridiculous pet,
Why do I find you so drunkenly set?
Lanval (Slurring his words): Good Queen! I’m only drunk on the splendour of your endless beauty,
to relish your looks is my only duty!
Queen: (Sighs) Simple human, your praise grates my brain.
Have you really nothing else to say?
Have you no songs or jokes, you foolish Thane?
You cannot tell stories or dance ballet!
Lanval: (Hurt) Does my lady grow tired of my affections?
Queen: No, just increasingly aware of your imperfections.
Come! My fairies, lets have a song.
Something that is charming and not too long.
(Fairies sing and dance. After the number is over, Lanval is found curled asleep.)
Queen: (Seeing Lanval) Ugh, take this foolish knight, and put him to bed.
He and I have had our fun, but to bring him with us to Avalon was misled.
In the morrow, I’ll set him free.
A human man has no place with a Queen like me!
Scene Two:
(The next morning. The Fairy Queen and her entourage enter. Lanval stumbles in. He looks hungover and wears a crown of flowers. He spots the queen and says:)
Lanval: Your Highness! I come on bended knee.
What is it that you have to say to me?
The Fairy Queen: Gentle human, you are kind and loyal.
But I am the highest of Queens- more than any other I am truly royal.
The time has come for us to part ways,
I need much more than a man who wears bouquets!
Lanval: (Rips off flower crown) Do you not love me anymore?!?
Queen: What makes you think that I did before?!
Do not think that I shall leave you without resources,
You shall have land, gold, jewels and many fine horses.
Try and enjoy your life among men,
Because love between us could never have been.
Suddenly, from offstage, a shrill trumpet blasts. The Fairy Queen rises out of her throne, much alarmed.
Queen: The alarm! For whom does this shrill warning ring?
(Enter a Fairy Messenger)
Messenger: My Queen! The Goblin army is here- along with their king!
They seek to destroy our peaceful bower,
Raise up your troops- show us your power!
Queen: So be it! Bring me my armour, forged from fine gold-
We shall beat these goblins before it’s all told!
Fairy servants come and dress the Queen in fine battle gear; helmet, shield and full armour. She is joined by several troops and charges off stage with a vicious battle cry.
Lanval: Oh sweet Queen, please wait for me!
I’ll protect you in battle, just wait and see.
My fiercest fighting shall re-win your love,
These goblins might just be a gift from above!
He charges out after her.
Scene Three:
(Early that evening. Golden sunlight pours across the set. The battle is over, the Fairies have won. The Queen and her entourage look tired but relieved.)
Fairy Soldier: My good Queen, that was a wonderful fight.
I’ll daresay those Goblins will hide in their holes another fortnight!
The Fairy Queen: Indeed. But has anyone seen the foolish Knight?
I saw him charge to the field, but he looked much affright.
It would pain me if harm came to his empty head-
Goblins are too fierce a foe for a man of his stead.
(Lanval is brought onstage by several attendants and is badly hurt.)
Queen: Oh you ignorant fellow!
Look at you, beat black, blue and yellow.
(Removes a small vial from her cloak)
Come, take this potion, it will certainly heal
all your cuts and bruises, and help how you feel.
(He swallows it.)
Queen: Now back to Brittany, I’ll bide no delay.
This world is too dangerous for you to stay.
Enjoy your wealth, land and titles!
Remember our magic when you’re suffering trials.
Lanval doesn’t speak, but bows very deeply to The Fairy Queen. He understands that her word is law. He exits. During this scene, the moon has slowly risen.
The Moon: Thus ends our tale, it was fast and so brief.
Lanval returns to the world of men- what a relief!
There shall he live out his days-
Thinking always of his long lost Queen and her powerful ways.
The End!
No comments:
Post a Comment