Tobias and Sara

Tobias and Sara

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Letters of Abelard and Heloise: Twitter Edition

The correspondence between Peter Abelard and Heloise d’Argenteuil, though initially a set of private letters, was eventually published and widely circulated throughout Europe in the years following Heloise’s death.  Here, I have attempted a modern (albeit truncated) recreation of their discussions concerning their relationship. The conversation is posited as being carried out over Twitter, so as to mimic the public nature of the actual Letters.

AbbessHeloise
@PeterAbelard:  I haven’t heard from you in a while.  It’s been pretty lonely here at the Paraclete. 
@PeterAbelard: I’m grateful to you for setting up this monastery and allowing myself and the other sisters from Argenteuil to resettle here.
@PeterAbelard: But do you think you might be able to go online a bit more often?  There’s a lot that I want to discuss with you.

PeterAbelard
@AbbessHeloise:  My dear sister in Christ! It’s so good to hear from you.  Things have been quite hectic lately.
@AbbessHeloise: People are starting to turn against me for what they call my “heretical” ideas. 
@AbbessHeloise: Please pray for me.  You know how in the Bible, the greatest of miracles (raising the dead) were performed by women. 
@AbbessHeloise: So, since we are now united in Christ if not in the flesh, please look after my soul as best as you are able. 

AbbessHeloise
@PeterAbelard:  You know, you are sounding really self-absorbed.  Out of love for you, I agreed to wed you after our affair became known.
@PeterAbelard: Out of love for you, I agreed to take the veil and devote myself to the service of Christ.  And yet you have withdrawn from me now. You never tweet me and you never visit. 
@PeterAbelard:  Whether you like to admit it or not, “you are bound to me by a greater debt, obliged to me by the sacrament of marriage.”
@PeterAbelard: For “I have always held you in my heart with a love that has no measure.”

PeterAbelard
@AbbessHeloise:  I didn’t realize you were so upset.  I wasn’t actively avoiding you; I just thought that you were at a point in your life where you didn’t feel such a strong need for me anymore. 
@AbbessHeloise: As for us being married, while we were once living as man and wife, you are now wedded to the Lord.
@AbbessHeloise:  Whatever I now feel towards you is merely as your brother in Christ, and you too should turn your intense love and devotion towards Him. 

AbbessHeloise
@PeterAbelard:  How can you say such things?  You know that I’m still a young woman and as such my desires for you still burn most ardently.
@PeterAbelard:  How can I claim to be a woman of God, when even during the Holy Mass “unholy fantasies of pleasure so enslave my wretched soul.”
@PeterAbelard: I think of you always, and not as a brother in Christ, but as a husband and a lover.
@PeterAbelard: Please don’t shut me out.  I gave up my entire life for you, and as my husband you are obligated to console and support me just as I have supported your plans.

PeterAbelard
@AbbessHeloise:  Don’t say such scandalous things over Twitter!  You are an abbess! What will the bishop think?
@AbbessHeloise:  It is time for you to leave behind these silly notions of love and desire which you so cherish. Such thoughts are not fitting to your vocation, nor will they have any effect on me.

AbbessHeloise
@PeterAbelard:  It may be easy for you to make such claims, but “it remains the hardest thing of all to wrench the heart away from its desires for the greatest pleasure it has ever known.”

PeterAbelard
@AbbessHeloise:  But don’t you see, AbbessHeloise?  That is exactly why God willed that I should suffer such a terrible punishment for my indiscretions. 
@AbbessHeloise: For it is true that “I was welded to you by desire so hot that I set those low and degenerate pleasures…ahead of both God and myself.”

AbbessHeloise
@PeterAbelard: How can you say that God has been merciful in punishing you so, when your punishment was levied not against an adulterer, but against a married man?

PeterAbelard
@AbbessHeloise:  Heloise, are you still so immature that you cannot grasp this concept?  “I was purged, not deprived of those organs…and the grace of God did nothing else but rid me of corruption to leave me purified and clean.” 
@AbbessHeloise: Even so, do not doubt that you are truly my inseparable companion, and that you have managed, as so few do, to turn “the curse of Eve into the blessing of Mary.”

AbbessHeloise
@PeterAbelard:  I feel like I can’t argue with you anymore, PeterAbelard.  It’s clear that you will only ever think of our relationship in terms of your own religiosity.
@PeterAbelard:  I hope you know that “where you owed some comfort you have brought only sorrow.”  I didn’t need a theological lecture! I’m not you student but your wife!
@PeterAbelard:  But you obviously have no intention of ever fulfilling the obligations you’ve incurred to me as my husband.
@PeterAbelard: At least make yourself useful and come up with an outline for my monastic order and send it to me via email when it’s done: AbbessHeloise@gmail.com.

PeterAbelard
@AbbessHeloise:  Now that is a request which I would be more than happy to fulfill!

AbbessHeloise
@PeterAbelard: You have been blocked from following this account at the request of the user. 


All direct quotations are taken from: Levitan, William, trans.  Abelard and Heloise: The Letters and Other Writings.  Indianapolis: Hackett Publishing Company, Inc., 2007.  

No comments:

Post a Comment