In 1567 Mary Stuart was forced to abdicate the Scottish throne, and flee to England for the safety she hoped to get from her cousin Queen Elizabeth I. Fearing Mary’s influence and power, Elizabeth imprisoned her the moment she reached England, but as Mary had not been convicted of any crimes, Elizabeth feared retaliation if she executed the Scottish Queen. Throughout her 19 years of imprisonment, Mary wrote regularly to Elizabeth, often pleading for her freedom and playing with her cousin’s emotions. In the 16th century letter would have been the only form of social media available.
Mary often asked if she could “prove her affection to [Elizabeth],” begging to meet with her face to face, and signing her letters as “your very affectionate distressed sister and cousin”. Elizabeth took quite a different tone, always addressing her letters to Mary as a simple “Madam” and often writing back with frustration and reprimands. She wrote as little as possible and mostly ignored her cousin’s pleas of innocence and requests for better living conditions. One letter, in 1572, clearly highlighted her frustration, berating Mary for her “increase of impatience, tending also to uncomely, passionate, ireful and vindictive speeches” and in the same breath Elizabeth seems to laud herself for her own “patient and advised words”.
In 1585 evidence came to light that Mary was allegedly involved in a conspiracy to take the English throne. When this was brought to Elizabeth’s attention, she wrote Mary one final time, charging her with treason, saying “you have in various ways and manners attempted to take my life and to bring my kingdom to destruction by bloodshed.” Although Elizabeth was clearly angry with her cousin, it must have been a relief to finally have evidence that would eliminate the last major threat to her throne.
After 19 years of ignoring her cousins letters begging for release and proclaiming her innocence, Elizabeth grabbed the first piece of evidence that she considered credible enough to convict Mary of a crime, and finally had her executed.
Since we now live in a world permeated with social media, I thought it would be fun to imagine what these exchanges might have looked like if Mary and Elizabeth had Twitter accounts at their disposal.
Since we now live in a world permeated with social media, I thought it would be fun to imagine what these exchanges might have looked like if Mary and Elizabeth had Twitter accounts at their disposal.
@therealqueen: Mary Stuart
@QueenofEngland: Elizabeth Tudor
@therealqueen
U have to believe me Liz, I support u 100% !!! I wld never betray you! U r my best friend and sister
@QueenofEngland
Ok STOP writing me. I kno ur a traitor. U would take the throne from me in a min if u could
@therealqueen
Can u at least get me a better room? This place is gross. I NEED a TV. I get soo bored in here all day. It's been like 15 yrs!!!
@QueenofEngland
Srsly, stop complaining. Ur head should be on a frickin pike. I've been nice enough to keep u alive. Ungrateful bitch
@therealqueen
Did u just call me a bitch?? at least i'm not so ugly that no man will ever want me. I had a husband. & alot of ppl think ur actually a dude
@QueenofEngland
HA. Just found some actual evidence to prove you want to take my throne. Ur SO dead
@therealqueen
PLS PLS save me Liz. I made a mistake. I didn't mean ANY of it. Please don't kill me. I <3 U! Ur like my best friend
@QueenofEngland
Being pretty doesn't feel so good when ur head is about to be detached from ur body does it? Later traitor!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment