Tobias and Sara

Tobias and Sara

Saturday, September 27, 2014

A Short Address from Empress Theodora to Her Subjects, in the Year of Our Lord, 562



(An imagined response to Prokopios’ attacks on Theodora’s character in The Secret History, had Theodora still been alive when the book was written)

People of Constantinople, and loyal subjects of Justinian, Emperor of Rome, I stand before you to defend myself against the traitorous lies and falsehoods written by Prokopios in his ‘Secret History.’ Once a trusted adviser and respected man, he took it upon himself to sink as low as Judas in his attempt to slander the royal court and fill the city streets with his filthy words against us. I beseech you all to disregard Prokopios’ attacks on my character, and give his work little credence. For his words carry no honor and only seek to distort facts to suit his own agenda.

Prokopios has spilled much ink over my upbringing and former profession. It is common knowledge that I was an actress and a dancer before the grace of God sent me my honorable husband. I was forced, from the time I was a young girl, to do the most disgraceful acts. I never had a choice about whether or not I wanted to lead such a life and I never enjoyed any of the vile actions I had to perform. Prokopios makes it sound as if I enjoyed myself when I danced and entertained men, which I most certainly did not. I feel the most burning shame every moment for what I had been forced to do in my youth. I prayed to Jesus and Mary every night that I would meet a man who would understand that no woman deserves such treatment, and would still love me after I was involved in such an ignoble and horrifying life. I left the wicked company that I had been forced to keep for so long and tried to live a respectable life once more. I was overjoyed when God answered my earnest prayers and Justinian helped me leave behind my degrading past.

I have even tried to save other young women who are in similar terrifying and disgraceful businesses. I founded the Metanoia, a house run by holy women so unfortunates may find refuge and a chance for redemption in the eyes of God. Even this charitable act Prokopios finds fault with, claiming that I forced women to go there and they have killed themselves trying to escape. It is unfortunate that pimps and evil men still lurk in the alleys and streets of our illustrious city, and corrupt innocent women with lies and false promises. It is known that they will often give these poor women medicinal poppy juice so that they become dependent on them, and will believe they can’t live without them. I have heard myself from the holy women that two young girls who sought shelter at the convent were desperate for a taste of poppy juice, and, overcome with shame at the deeds they had earlier committed, threw themselves into the sea in agony. I wept at length when I received this news and I am grief-stricken that this has happened. For Prokopios to suggest that I have anything but good intentions for these women is treasonous and the thought contains no reason. I hope that you, citizens of Constantinople, have sense enough to decide the truth for yourself.

Hear me good citizens; I come from humble beginnings as most of you do. It is true that my past has been fraught with sin and some of my earlier deeds bring shame to my soul, but I now stand before you as your empress in the eyes of God. I will not let the empty accusations of Prokopios turn you against me without speaking before you now in my own defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment