Tobias and Sara

Tobias and Sara

Monday, October 9, 2017

On Your Recent Widowhood

Our Dearest Daughter, Cateline,
    We offer our deepest sympathies at the passing of your husband, Jehan, scarcely a month following the wedding. In all honesty, we did not make the smartest decision with that one. He did seem awfully itchy and nauseous at the event. I had thought it was just the nerves. I never expected he’d be struck down with St. Anthony’s Fire. Regardless, my flower, the question remains on what shall we do with you. You simply cannot be left alone and unwatched. The ways of the woman, especially one as young as you, are those of deceit and carnal lust, and I have no desire to sell my daughter into prostitution nor turn her conjugal home into a whorehouse!
    My first thought was to have you remarried. The recent espousal of your sister has stirred considerable interest among the families. Hearing of your widowhood, Corbus has seemed particularly keen to marry you. A marriage alliance with his family would make my heart soar under normal conditions, but, alas, it can only weep.
    You know how I value the word of the Lord and how I seek to follow his truth. Upon hearing of Corbus’ interest, I rushed to Bishop Theod to arrange the event promptly. He refused to bless the engagement as he feared such a thing would provoke gossip that you had hurried Jehan’s departure to pursue an illicit affair. It does not help that Corbus too would be remarrying, having divorced his prior wife for infertility. Despite my protestations at the time, I have come to understand- the damaging rumors that would result from such a union would surpass the benefit of marrying a man of a good family and a childhood friend. To remarry you at all would be a disservice to God, as the Council of Tribur decreed.
    Recently, your sister, Basina, has been urging me to bring you home. She is quite emotional with the upcoming wedding and purports to be all the time lonely despite being constantly attended to. She misses her sister, and I am sure she will be very glad to notice your presence at the coming wedding. Nevertheless, believe me when I say I cannot bring you home.
    With your youth and beauty, you would tempt the servants and unmarried men. Your sister’s betrothed comes to the house many times a day, and if you were to jealously tempt him to stray for marital purity and towards your own bed, you would force him to commit a grave sin, bringing disorder and strife to this happy home. I urge you to think of your sister’s happiness, your love of family, and duty to God when I tell you that I cannot allow you to return and bring the devils of mistrust and illicit intimacy. As a good mother, wife, and follower of the Lord, I can think of only one place where you can serve your family and remain in the graces of God- the abbey.
    Due to the great patronage of your father and myself, our relationship with Abbey du Fainstand is very amicable. Indeed, it was Bishop Theod himself that suggested the idea, and Abbess Chunsia was quick to approve it. You shall be like the great Queen Mathilda- as faithful to the Lord in your widowhood as in your matrimony and serve the true eternal companion. Perhaps you may one day produce miracles! I say this in jest, of course. I would never assume to know the workings of the Lord. However, it is clear that in your desperate condition, He has decided to take you as his own. He will purify you and wash away the sins of lust and temptation. Ah, my daughter, I almost wish that I myself had such an opportunity. It is clear that you have a higher calling to the Lord, so you shall tend to yours, and I, as faithful mother and wife, shall tend to mine.
    I hope this letter reaches you in time. As I write this, the carriage is on its way to fetch you.

Yours Faithfully,
Mother  

No comments:

Post a Comment