Dear Angels:
I am struggling to decide if I should join the online dating world. I’m a 27-year-old man and the only one of my friend group not yet married or engaged. It doesn’t help that all of my relatives keep asking when I’m going to bring home a girl, and my every few days, my mom reminds me how much she wants to be a grandma. I have a hectic work schedule Monday through Friday, and now that I spend all my weekends attending weddings and bachelor parties for my college friends, I don’t have a lot of time for dating. The only option I see is to download a dating app, but I’m a little old-fashioned and don’t know how I feel about that.
Do you have any advice?
—Tired of Sitting at the Singles’ Table
I am struggling to decide if I should join the online dating world. I’m a 27-year-old man and the only one of my friend group not yet married or engaged. It doesn’t help that all of my relatives keep asking when I’m going to bring home a girl, and my every few days, my mom reminds me how much she wants to be a grandma. I have a hectic work schedule Monday through Friday, and now that I spend all my weekends attending weddings and bachelor parties for my college friends, I don’t have a lot of time for dating. The only option I see is to download a dating app, but I’m a little old-fashioned and don’t know how I feel about that.
Do you have any advice?
—Tired of Sitting at the Singles’ Table
Dear Tired of Sitting at the
Singles’ Table,
Don’t stress;
consider yourself lucky. As I said to my friend Marcella the other day, widows
are fortunate because they have been… how did I phrase it… “freed from the
marital bond.” You’re even more fortunate, because you have never been bound.
You could get married, but why not take advantage of this opportunity and
dedicate your life to serving God without the distraction of a wife.
As for the
pressure from your friends and family to settle down… ignore it. Your concern for
doing what’s expected prevents you from living your most authentic life.
Society fetters you and forces upon you rigid rules of decorum and lifestyle. Don’t
concern yourself with “being a man”—experience your emotions as you feel them.
It’s ok to cry if you feel like it. I can’t stress this enough: DO NOT get
bogged down by society’s rules. Why go to the trouble of polishing your shoes
and straightening your tie? Why bother gelling your hair when you can just wear
a hat? Devote your time to saying prayers and serving God instead.
Whatever
you do, don’t download Tinder. Forget hooking up. You shouldn’t spend time
around women, especially not promiscuous ones. You will only tempt yourself to
sin. If you feel you must download an app, try Candy Crush. Or better yet,
BibleMinded.
I
really should forward you the emails I sent to my friends Pacatula and Marcella.
They cover everything I’m telling you here and more!
Blessings,
Jerry (Jerome)
P.s. If you feel that your lust
will overpower you, go ahead and get married. It’s better than hooking up.
Though, frankly, if you really want to go to heaven, it’s probably better not
to do either.
Dear Tired of Sitting at the Singles’
Table,
I’d
like to share with you some advice I recently gave an overseas group I mentor
called Corinthians. I agree with Jerry that the best thing to do is to remain
celibate and dedicate your life to God. However, most humans lack the self-control.
If you are like most people, you should definitely get married. Marriage will
help ensure you and your wife stay mutually faithful and steer you away from really sinning (aka sleeping around).
Spouses must keep one another satisfied. This way, you both will be less
tempted to stray outside the marriage than you would be if your lust ran
unchecked. So, to answer your question about dating apps, I say go for it! You
need to find a woman to be your wife and friend somehow. As long as you are
celibate outside marriage and faithful to your wife in marriage, you’ll be just
fine by the big man. God’s grace be with you.
Sending my love to all fellow
Christians out there!
Paul
Paul
Hi Tired of Sitting at the Singles’
Table,
Don’t
worry about Paul and Jerry. As I said in my recent Op-Ed “The Excellence of
Marriage”, staying celibate doesn’t necessarily make you a better person. It
probably goes without saying that you shouldn’t sleep with anyone other than
your wife, but you shouldn’t feel bad about getting married if you’re doing it
for the right reasons! Marriage should be for having kids, a lifelong
companion, and a mutually faithful relationship. While this should never be the
reason for a marriage, one benefit of being married is that it neutralizes the
sin of having sex. With all of that being said, my only answer to your question
is, as long as you’re in it for the right reasons, I don’t see why you
shouldn’t use dating apps or any other method for finding a lifelong partner!
Of course, some dating apps are more conducive to meeting a girlfriend than
others. I urge you to explore apps like Bumble, Coffee Meets Bagel, and
Christian Mingle.
Good luck in the dating world!
Gus (Augustine)
Gus (Augustine)
No comments:
Post a Comment