Tobias and Sara

Tobias and Sara

Saturday, April 11, 2026

Laudatio Turiae: Troubadour style

Should I be surprised that your love

Has brought me so much misery?

Our love was always a mix

Of affection and agony

The eve before I was to gain you

You lost your dear parents

I found myself married to a warrior

Her quest for justice completed

My heart full and primed to break


Life goes on

And I was forced to leave my bride

The halls of our home were empty

Even miles away I was filled with pride

That my wife would guard her modesty

In the midst of such anguish

If you were in half as much pain in your grief

As I was in my longing

Then the anguish should've been paralyzing

Yet you protected that most sacred quality


What did you think would happen

To my poor, lovesick heart

When I heard you had abandoned our home

To protect your decency?

Did you think I would return to you?

Did you think I would feel proud?

Did you think I would feel indifferent?

Or did you not think of me at all? 

I felt nothing but agonizing desire

The distance between us suddenly insurmountable

Separate from such a virtuous soul

The very world seemed to ache with me

Your esteem nearly killing me


Unable to touch you, to kiss you

I was capable only of longing

Starved for your kiss

Letters and gossip fed my soul

O, sweet wife, you should have been by my side

And nowhere else


There has rarely been a woman

Forced to face such challenges as you

And there has rarely been a man

Lucky enough to hold her heart

And there has never been a man

More miserable to lose it


I could list all your virtues

But what good would it do?

Break my heart even more?


Name a marriage as long as ours

That was not cut short by separation or the scythe?

As impossible as task

As describing my departed love

Forty years you were mine

And still not enough

If our union was to end in death

My soul was the right one to take


I am filled with anger, my love, still!

How could your mind be capable

Of imagining a life without me?

No child could compare to you

My soul breaks to think

You ever believed otherwise

Never have I met such as fool

As you were in your selflessness


Fate’s cruelty knows no bounds

Given the most charitable wife

Generous enough to leave me

My blessing almost became my curse


I myself was a fool, too

Expressing my passion through gifts

A sapphire for your beauty,

A ruby for your kiss

The jewels shone like stars on you

Yet all the money in the world could not buy

The priceless gifts you gave me


Have you ever met a man without a soul?

Why am I surrounded by so many of them

Yet cannot find you?

Those fools tried to tear us apart

Cold men who have never known

The warmth of true love

Clinging to gold and weapons

Not knowing they possess nothing

Perhaps they saw the light of our love

Burning in the distance

And were beckoned like moths


They seized my name

Straight from your heart

Carved it on their tablets

And condemned it to death

Had I known that surviving their attempts

Would one day rob me of my heart

I would have written it myself


In those men we faced evil

For who would harm a ray of sunlight?

They broke your precious body

When you stood in my defense

Once again your altruism was a knife in my heart

A far worse sight

To see the bruises on your body

Than to see my name

On Death’s list


In need of safety I dragged myself away from you

It had delighted me so

In a simpler past

To see you with those jewels on your body

Gone, now, forever

Sacrificed for my flight

How I wish I could hold them

And pretend you were in the next room

You saved my wretched life

But where did it go?

I lost it when I lost you

You saved me just to kill me


Those men are long gone now

And yet I long for their knock on our door

For my name on their list

Now I know that death is nothing

Compared to life without you


My name should never be written

Unless in your script

No comments:

Post a Comment